Thursday, December 9, 2010

Alone, with friends.

This is the end of day two. Two days in Kauai, Hawaii.
This is for my friends and family on the main land whom keep asking how Kauai is. one simple word can explain that. Magical.
But I suppose I should go into detail since you are not here and are not able to see what I see.
The last few weeks have been crazy busy driving all over the west coast. Starting in California to Oregon to Washington back to Oregon and finally driving to Seattle.
I had a little stress out moment the night before the flight because I had to fit all my belongings into suite cases.  Relieving myself of most of my belongings I took a six hour flight out of Seattle Washington. The weather in the Seattle was cold and raining. Dressing for the weather i didn't think of what it would be like when i got off the plane. For some odd reason planes make me sweaty and itchy. Always leaving a film of dirt on my body. As soon as i left the plane a burst of sticky warm air hit my aura. I was tired and clammy and wanted nothing more than a shower and a bed. The rental car lady met me at the airport and thankfully led me to my hotel room. Old and funky with flower bed spreads and a slight offish smell came from the room but i was happy to take a hot shower and sleep. Feeling alone and unaware of my future i fell into a restless slumber. arising early the next morning around 7 am I rearranged my belongings and set out on quest on finding a friend of a friend's house. The weather was perfect. i wore shorts and a tank top and was perfectly content. The sun was shining and the coconut trees swayed in the breeze.
After getting lost and needing detailed directions I found my destination.( I will figure out how to post a picture of the house after i finish the blog. )
Arriving with the best possible hospitality and welcoming. I felt welcomed and like family immediately. With a native style sweat on the menu, i explored the house. Huge and in the most beautiful location. Over looking the opaekaa falls with a river crossing through the jungle like landscape. the large open house is always full of laughing and screaming children running around. families join together to hang out, talk, eat and sweat together.
After a little while my hostess took me out in her car and showed me the town of Lihue. Which has to my surprise, a walmart, cosco and mall. a regular town.
after driving around we headed back to the house and enjoyed a wonderful native style sweat. which for those of you who do not know what that is. it looks like a large bowl upside down. Made of poles, and blankets. They start a fire outside and put lava rocks in the fire to heat up. After the rocks are hot, about ten or so of us crowd together inside surrounding a pit. the hot lava rocks get put into the pit and it heats up inside. Then water is added and it gets steamy and super super hot. it's really nice.
after getting out of the water we dunked into the cold water of the river and sat in the grass. it was wonderful.
I then drank fresh coconut, ate fresh, super yummy papayas. Played with geckos and the children.
after the sweat i got a hold of a guy who was selling a car that was on the north shore. I drove up to look at it and it was a piece of junk. Total Island style. The body was rusted, there were no side mirrors, the back doors had no handles. bad car. I'm really trying to find a car asap.
When i got back i set up a tent, and crashed exhausted. 
in the middle of the night i was woken by, sweat warm rain crashing down on my tent. i quickly threw on the rain flap and went back to sleep. sleeping in till around 11 am.
It was still raining warm rain when i woke and i got ready for the day I headed out to explore with a friend i had met at the airport. Even with the rain we went out to explore. Heading to the west shore we checked out some beaches and went to a surf shop. it was a fun day.
random things i've learned about Kauai.
The native people do NOT like to be called Hawaiians. They are Polynesians. To call a native person a Hawaiian is like calling a black person a nigger. I had not known this before and I think it is a good thing for everyone to know.
This Island does not feel like America. It is legally America, but the people here do not sound like americans.
The locals say brah alot, shoots, and random other sayings. They speak a language called pigen here. I guess there are even phrase books i could buy to learn the language.
There are wild chickens EVERYWHERE. no matter where you are on the island there will be a rooster that is heard at around 4 am. They are on the streets, at the beach, in front of the banks and every place that you can think. there are wild chickens.
i haven't seen them yet but i guess there are also wild pigs. boars i guess and they are mean.
i saw a moth today and it was the size of a bat.
the fruit is exotic and the bugs are weird.
I LOVE IT! i would be no were else on the planet.
I am happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment